[Go-essp-tech] [metafor] Minutes: 1/6/10 Output Variable Telecon

Bryan Lawrence bryan.lawrence at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 6 12:21:33 MST 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 18:55:58 Sylvia Murphy wrote:
> HI Bryan,
>
> I have added one comment deep down...
and I've cut out the material in between :-) :-)

> Just to refresh everyone's minds, the ESG display (e.g. one instance with a full set of tabs) will come from the XML output from the questionnaire.  If we get an XML file that is a subcomponent (e.g. Atmospheric chemistry), it will exist as an instance.  If we get an XML that corresponds to an upper level component (e.g. Atmosphere) it will exist as an instance.  If we get an XML that combines the chemistry portion under the atmospheric component, then that combined XML will exist as an instance.

I think this suggests we should send you one xml instance per realm level component. Is that what you are expecting/want?

> Outputs Tab:
>
> Output Variables:
>
>      Precipitation
>      Humidity
>      Surface Temperature
>      Etc
>
> Data Collections:
>
>      precipitation.nc <<<< this is a link to the data collection, which may be more than one file
>      humidity.nc
>      temperature.nc

Things are mildly complicated here by ESG support for non-CMIP5 datasets, but as you know I only care about CMIP5, so ...

The data collection links should not be to netcdf files but to esg catalog entries for the appropriate atomic dataset ... (complete with links to replicates etc) ...

... and it's arguable that you need two columns/tabs for variables and collections. For CMIP5, they will be completely isomorphic, and it would be much simpler (given some of these will have more than a hundred entries) if you could click through straight from the variable to both a description and the data pages ...

precipitation (defn, datapage)

You also need data links from the aggregations (experiment etc), but more of that anon.

> Right now, we would have to parse the thredds catalog as you say to get the list of variables.  No code exists to convert the data collection names into a list of variable names.  Code does exist to create the list of data collections.

I think we all need a bit of code for that. We should write it standalone so we can all use the logic if not the code ...  hopefully this is on the agenda for Hans and/or Stephen.

Cheers
Bryan