[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 data archive size estimate

Frank Toussaint Toussaint at dkrz.de
Wed Jan 6 08:12:25 MST 2010

Dear all:

As far as subatomic ;-) data handling is concerned:
We presently seem to have no estimates of the number of files per atomic dataset. On the other hand we are asked by some of the data providers for recommended file sizes.

Most of our atoms are in the order of tens to hundreds of GBytes. We tend to advise the providers not to exceed file sizes of few (1..10) GB if possible, which is 10 to 100 files per atom.

Do you have any recommendations? Do you know applications that are limited to files below a certain threshold?

Best regards... frank

--
                            ===>  NEW OFFICE ADDRESS / PHONE:
/** Dr. Frank Toussaint   * Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum DKRZ