[Go-essp-tech] publishing by realm

Bryan Lawrence bryan.lawrence at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 25 13:08:57 MST 2010

Hi Bob

On Thursday 25 February 2010 19:27:15 Bob Drach wrote:
> Where would 'atomic dataset version' be stored? In ESG there would
> only be realm-dataset versions and individual file versions.

The DRS is writing a version associated with the atomic dataset as defined within it. We expect modelling groups would conform to that, and update versions according to it. We could rewrite the DRS ... (and hence CMOR presumably ... but it's a bit late for that ... or maybe I'm missing something).

That means, if we leave things the way there are: there is a logical disconnect, and the risk of either vastly more data movement than is necessary, or a complex resolution problem (is my replicated "realm" level dataset the same as yours, if we've done replication at the file level).

cheers
Bryan

--
Bryan Lawrence
Director of Environmental Archival and Associated Research