[Go-essp-tech] publishing by realm

Luca Cinquini luca at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 24 08:56:33 MST 2010

Hi Bob,
	I looked at the PCMDI site after you published by realm, and it seems
to me that this is a MUCH better presentation of the data to the user.
The search results are the right granularity (1825 total CMIP3
datasets, 194 for a single model like CCSM) and the number of files
for each dataset, once you click on it, is still very manageable -
around 10 for a single CCSM/atmosphere dataset (although this is
likely to increase for CMIP5 runs I believe).

Eric and I are working on harvesting the additional experiment and
realm information for the thredds catalogs, and expose them as search
facets. When this is done (by next week, hopefully), it would be good
to re-publish all these data, because I think it would provide a good
example on how users can easily find CMIP3 data by selecting one or
more of model/realm/experiment/variable.

In summary, I like it much better know than before...

thanks, Luca