[Go-essp-tech] About Gateway Installation...

Estanislao Gonzalez estanislao.gonzalez at zmaw.de
Fri Aug 6 02:04:42 MDT 2010

Hi Eric & Gavin,

I totally agree with this idea and since Neil is still waiting for some
certs I can only send after I've installed the Gateway here (the test
machine is almost done) I suggest we move forward.

I have altered both the gway and globus install scripts so I can use
them for the second machine. There are a lot of small things that are
just difficult to pinpoint and thus take time. The installer has become
a massive thing (2000 lines for the gway and 1400 lines for the globus),
so it's normal there are a couple of corners that need to be rounded. In
any case I'll provide you both with the modified versions once I can
test them and assure they work as intended.

What it's worthed mentioning now, is that every single node installed
with the installer is running MyProxy 4.2, as the newer 4.8 is not being
installed. Moving to the new version at the node caused a little
trouble, but I cannot tell if this will be the case for anyone. Check
the version by running $GLOBUS_LOCATION/bin/myproxy-info -V

Regarding your list Eric (and the numbering you've used) I'd like to
comment a little about the current stand of the situation:

1) Mailing list
This is great. I wonder why neither Gavin nor I (probably quite a lot of
others too) had no info about it. I think this information should be
shared. (should we send a monthly mailinglist list within GO-ESSP? Does
it make any sense?)

2) Jira
The idea is great, but e.g. I saw that a bug I wanted to commit was
already committed by someone else, and it even appears to be solved by
now, which would be great. The thing is, I still has no access to the
corrected code (just the binaries) as the Gateway ESG-CET 1.1.0 version
that I can download still has the Liquibase lowercase problem which
inhibit me from installing it here. This forces me to re-solve the
problem manually and lowers the usage of Jira (at least for the
"consumer" like me). Not to forget mentioning there are almost 500
major+ issues open.

3) Communication via email -mailing lists
In my opinion this is working great. I'm just wondering if there are
more mailingslist I should be subscribed to...

4) Documentation
This should be the cornerstone of everything. Before an Installer is
provided the complete documentation should be accessible. IMHO the
installer should speed the installation, not hide it. I'm still finding
info bits spread all over the net...

5) Access to releases and snapshots
This would solve the problem of what to do if a release has a blocking
bug like the Liquibase one.

6) Maintain the installer and tools
I totally agree on that. The responsibility of the installer should be
on the hands of those developing the application it's being installed.
If not the'll grow apart.

We all want to help in the development of the Gateway. I'm more than
happy to be able to contribute my findings. I just think we need a
better infrastructure to support this, and Eric summary just seems the
right path to take.

I wish you all well,
Estani