[Go-essp-tech] Are atomic datasets mutable?

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Nov 20 03:26:56 MST 2009

Karl,

First on a specific point:

> At a lower priority some of these runs will be extended to the end of
the 23rd century.
> ... The component time-periods are part of the same experiment and
CMOR2 will write output into the same directory.

Does this mean that a single atomic dataset could contain data from 2
different tiers (core and tier 1)?  If so I think this contradicts
Bryan's assertion:

> There are two classes of this example:
>  - some of these examples are going to come from tier1 experiments
which extend core
> experiments.
> - some are going to be because of the way folk have done their runs
>
> The first instance is covered by the fact that technically the second
tranch of data is a
> different atomic dataset, and analysis should exploit a concatenation
of two atomic datasets

On the more general I point I completely agree with Bryan.  The DOI
point is the most concise statement of why we need immutable atomic
datasets.  What we need to agree on is what is a "version".  We probably
have different ideas what a version is so I'll share my perspective,
which comes from software engineering and version control systems.

VCS systems have a concept of an atomic unit: a file.  Any change to a
file is considered a new version (or revision, the terminology varies).
It doesn't differentiate between additions and changes -- a change could
be as trivial as a newline at the end of the file.  The point is that
the system's knowledge of the internal structure of objects needs to
stop somewhere and that's the atomic unit.

Therefore I think extension should imply a new version.  As Bryan says
the job of explaining the relationship between 2 versions is the job of
metadata.  Also the problem of how we efficiently store 2 versions one
of which is an extension of the first can be solved separately.

S.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
British Atmospheric Data Centre