[Go-essp-tech] grids in metafor, and the esg catalog

Sylvia Murphy Sylvia.Murphy at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 5 09:29:53 MST 2009

Balaji,

I will answer a couple of your questions below with a list of new
questions :)
On Nov 5, 2009, at 9:21 AM, V. Balaji wrote:

> Sylvia Murphy writes:
>
>> One thing I would request is that we stick with the grid metadata
>> structure that was agreed upon by Balaji, Phil, et al.  It could be
>> very confusing to have grid metadata that looks totally different
>> from
>> this when the gridspec metadata is available.  I see a "join" and a
>> join of sources vice a join of totally different metadata constructs.
>
> The specific issue is that the XML document in the CIM contains
> discovery/description metadata fields that cannot be recruited
> from gridspec netCDF headers. Bryan and I felt that most of them
> could come from the CMIP5 questionnaire: we went over the
> questionnaire
> yesterday and only minor tweaks were needed.
>
> The additional information in the grid CIM can be harvested from
> gridspec files and that is a fine solution for Metafor. I will be
> able to answer whether it is also a good solution for CMIP5 when I get
> all the results back from the grid survey that Karl and I have begun.
>
> If the "discovery" use case requirements are fulfilled by the
> questionnaire and the regridding use case by gridspec files,
> is the "join" needed in the short term (CMIP5) or can it be deferred?
>
> Is the join an absolute requirement for the ESG representation of
> grids?
> Could it be the "discovery" fields plus a pointer to the gridspec data
> location?

To answer your questions I need to know the following:

a) Will this discovery metadata be used in the search interface of
ESG?  If so, what are we searching on?  Models with that grid
configuration?  Gridspec files?  Data files on that grid?

b) Do you want this discovery metadata displayed on the ESG model
trackback page?  If so we'll have to talk about how they would
integrate with the metata constructs that currently exist.  (e.g.
where you want it, how it compares to the mosaic/tile concept, and
what you want things to be called).

Thanks,

Sylvia

> --
>
> V. Balaji                               Office:  +1-609-452-6516
> Head, Modeling Systems Group, GFDL      Home:    +1-212-253-6662
> Princeton University                    Email: v.balaji at noaa.gov

Sylvia Murphy

NESII Project Manager
NOAA/OAR/ESRL