[Go-essp-tech] grids in metafor, and the esg catalog

Sylvia Murphy Sylvia.Murphy at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 5 08:58:07 MST 2009

Bryan,

see below

On Nov 5, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Bryan Lawrence wrote:

> On Thursday 05 November 2009 15:27:25 Sylvia Murphy wrote:
>
>> Bryan,  I am somewhat confused by the deliverable that you are
>> composing here...
>
> :-) As have I been, hence all this :-)
>
>> Are we talking about a separate grid XML sent to us sometime after
>> the
>> questionnaire?
>>
>> At one point we were anticipating that GFDL would be writing a
>> program
>> to harvest the metadata contained within the gridspec files.  There
>> was an open question about what form that output would be in.  Are we
>> now talking about Metafor providing this info or is this a different
>> set of grid info?
>
> The gist of the various conversations is that gridspec, in the time
> frame
> of CMIP5, has one major application: regridding. We don't think the
> ESG
> catalog needs to harvest gridspec files (although if it wants to, it
> could
> do so directly from the data nodes, where they will reside).
>
> However, we do think the catalog needs knowledge of grids, in the
> context
> of the model, and the best way to do this is via quesionnire type
> questions.
> (In the best possible world, we'd create a "join" of gridspec-type
> info and questionnaire-type information).
>
> We have most of those questions now, distributed in the mind-map (and
> thus looking like subcomponents). We're talking about removing them
> and putting it into it's own grid document (which we had always
> planned on doing, but our original plan was this "join" which we
> dont think we can produce or use sensibly right now).

One thing I would request is that we stick with the grid metadata
structure that was agreed upon by Balaji, Phil, et al.  It could be
very confusing to have grid metadata that looks totally different from
this when the gridspec metadata is available.  I see a "join" and a
join of sources vice a join of totally different metadata constructs.

Sylvia

> However, it's only an idea right now :-)
>
> Cheers
> Bryan
>
> --
> Bryan Lawrence
> Director of Environmental Archival and Associated Research
> (NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre and NCEO/NERC NEODC)
> STFC, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
> Phone +44 1235 445012; Fax ... 5848;
> Web: home.badc.rl.ac.uk/lawrence

Sylvia Murphy