[Go-essp-tech] information in the ESG federation

Luca Cinquini luca at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 4 12:12:12 MST 2009

Hi Bryan,
	this is indeed an excellent document, thanks for putting it together
and I apologize for not attending the telco that tuesday. I thought
about answering some of the questions that you pose in the document
about the Gateway:

10.ESG Gateway databases and Catalogs
(None of this was discussed on the 27th , since we didn't have a
gateway representative
on the telco. We'll try and hijack a Curator call to discuss most of
this material.
Action Bryan to setup.

• Configured to receive publication information from ESG data nodes
(via TDS
catalogs) and other gateways (via OAI).

• Receives Curator OWL documents via a manual process. Can we automate
this.
Luca would like to use OAI. Bryan would like to use atom-pub-sub.

The reason I like OAI is that it already provides an API not only to
ingest documents, but also for figuring out if a document has been
updated with a new version.
Does atom do that ? Additionally, the gateways already exchange
metadata via OAI, so it would be good to not introduce yet another
protocol. And we already have the
user interface that an administrator (Sylvia) can use to harvest the
records starting from a given date. And yes, the process could be made
automatic if necessary.

• How does it align model and data?
Each dataset has a property that connects it to the simulation that
generated it (if available).

• How does it align gridspec, data and models?
A dataset can be generically associated with a grid, but I believe we
don't actually store this information while publishing. If the
gridspec was to be
conained in the thredds catalog, we can certainly parse that
information out and store it.

• What is the internal data model?
Please see attached slide. In a very semplified version, it's made of
datasets, that contain other datasets and files, and that can have
arbotrary access points. Really, the data model is the same as thredds.

• What is the format of the material moved around by OAI between
gateways?
It's RDF triples serialized in RDF/XML and embedded in OAI envelops.

• What does it do about service endpoints?
Service endpoints are stored in database tables, and also stored as
RDF triples in the triple store.

Also:

Action: ESG gateway team to advise on what concept of “dataset” exists
in the gateway.

this is probably the same as the data model question...

I also have two additional action items:
o) We need to parse the forthcoming PCMDI controlled vocabulary and
convert it to owl instances, for use by the faceted search in ESG
o) Have we talked about how to enforce the DRS syntax ? Is this a
responsability of the publisher ?

thanks, Luca