[Go-essp-tech] Proposal for adjusting our definition of an atomic dataset

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Mon Dec 7 16:33:25 MST 2009

Dear Stephen and all,

Before commenting on the substance of your email, let me suggest that we
not talk about "standard" and "non-standard" output.  Rather, I think it
will be less confusing to talk about:
1. CMIP5 "requested" output
2. output not requested by CMIP5.

As an aside, I think it is best to avoid the term "core" output, and
instead refer to the subset of the output that will be replicated at
several gateways (e.g., PCMDI, BADC, DKRZ, ...) as "centralized CMIP5
output".  Dean and I agree this will avoid confusion.

Now to suggestions in your email:

I'm not sure I understand option 1, but I'm definitely opposed to option
2.  We are not talking about two different experiments, we are talking
about different subsets of output from a single experiment.  Option 2
would, I'm sure, confuse at least 99% of the users (well, maybe I
exaggerate).

As for option 1,

1. What would the allowable "values" be for the additional DRS attribute?
2. What is meant by "Atomic datasets that currently span standard and
non-standard output would be split into 2 atomic datasets"?  I don't
think there are any current atomic datasets (except in our imagination),
so there is no need to split them.
3.  Rather than saying "Other atomic datasets would exist in one
category or the other," couldn't we simply say, an atomic dataset can
either refer to all time-samples output from the run, or a subset of
contiguous time-samples defined by the project.   [I'm not sure that
it's absolutely necessary that they be contiguous, but I would think
this would be less confusing.  For example, suppose the CMIP5 requested
output was for the years 1950-1980, but the full expt. ran from 1850 to
2005.  I would think that having the atomic dataset defined by the CMIP5
requested output falling inside the atomic dataset for the non-requested
output would seem to "split" the non-requested atomic dataset, which
seems contradictory (can you split an atomic dataset?).]
4.  Note that there are some cases in which the CMIP5 *requested* output
is non-contiguous.  For example, in the case of aerosol data, some of
the 3-D fields are collected in 1-year samples as follows: 1850 to 1950
every 20 years, 1960 to 2020 every 10 years, 2040 to 2100 every 20
years.  If we require the time-samples in an atomic dataset be
contiguous, this would require 17 different atomic datasets would
comprise the CMIP5 requested output for these variables.  Perhaps that's
unattractive and argues against requiring that the data be contiguous.

I'll try to join tomorrow at the beginning, at least.