[Dart-users] upcoming updates to the DART subversion trunk

Nancy Collins nancy at ucar.edu
Wed May 15 11:06:50 MDT 2013

hi dart-ers,

the DART team is beginning the process of getting
a new release of the software ready to distribute.
over the next few weeks we will be moving updated
code to the subversion trunk, testing, fixing bugs,
and getting the release ready to go.

most of you have checked out either the Kodiak release
or the development branch, but it is possible that you've
got a version of the code checked out from the subversion
trunk.  if so, keep reading.

if you're unsure, cd into your top level dart directory
and type:  svn info

look carefully at the URL line.  if it ends in:

DAReS/DART/trunk

then you may want to:

1) switch to using the Kodiak release because it will not
be changing during the upcoming new release process, or

2) stop updating from the subversion server until after
the release.

for help in switching or more information, write dart at ucar
dot edu for assistance.

our plans for subversion going forward are to maintain
the Kodiak release as-is, only incorporating bug fixes.
after the new release we will also maintain the L release
as-is and it will become our recommended stable code
base to run from.

the subversion trunk will take over the role the 'development
branch' has been playing and we will be committing all new
code, including non-backwards compatible features, to the trunk.
the new code may be less fully tested than the release branches,
so it will be a less stable code base to run from.

thanks,
nancy