[Cosmic_announce] CDAAC new data fetching commands for mission GRACE

Maggie Sleziak-Sallee maggie at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 17 10:39:17 MST 2013

Dear CDAAC Data Users:

We have implemented a new way to retrieve GRACE data. As of today, the
previous wget and ftp commands will NO LONGER work for mission GRACE.

They will still work for other missions temporarily, we will notify you
of future changes as they occur.

Here are the new data fetching instructions for GRACE:

1.- To get a daily tar file for a given data type:
      wget -q --http-user=xxxx --http-passwd=xx http://cdaac-www.cosmic.ucar.edu/cdaac/rest/tarservice/data/MISSION/dataType/YYYY.DDD   -O fileOutput.tar

      Examples:
      a) MISSION: GRACE, data type: atmPrf, and date: 2013.304:
      wget -q --http-user=xxxx --http-passwd=xx http://cdaac-www.cosmic.ucar.edu/cdaac/rest/tarservice/data/grace/atmPrf/2012.304   -O grace_atmPrf_2012.304.tar

      b) Mission: GRACE, data type: wetPrf, and date: 2013.301:
      wget -q --http-user=xxxx --http-passwd=xx http://cdaac-www.cosmic.ucar.edu/cdaac/rest/tarservice/data/grace/wetPrf/2012.301  -O grace_wetPrf_2012.301.tar

     The output of this wget command is a tar file - when you untar the file, you will find the following directory structure:
     - The mission directory (i.e. grace),  inside this directory:
        - The data type directory (i.e. wetPrf) , inside this:
             - The date directory (i.e. 2012.301), and inside this directory:
                 - The files.

(You will also get the same directory structure if you get data using
our Batch Delivery system. )

      2.- To get a single data file:
      wget -q --http-user=xxxx --http-passwd=xx http://cdaac-www.cosmic.ucar.edu/cdaac/rest/tarservice/file/MISSION/YYYY.DDD/FILENAME

      examples:
      Mission: GRACE, Date: 2013.092,
      file name: atmPrf_C001.2013.092.00.01.G22_2010.2640_nc

      wget -q --http-user=xxxx --http-passwd=xx http://cdaac-www.cosmic.ucar.edu/cdaac/rest/tarservice/file/cosmic/2013.092/wetPrf_C001.2013.092.00.01.G22_2010.2640_nc

The object of these changes is to switch from providing single data files to daily tarballs, helping us to manage our growing
data inventory better.
      Cheers,
      The CDAAC Team

--