CEDAR email: Operation interruption at the Resolute Bay Observatory

Asti Bhatt asti.bhatt at sri.com
Fri Oct 14 13:08:27 MDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

I regret to inform you that on September 27, 2022, there was a fire <https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/article/rcmp-lay-charges-in-resolute-bay-observatory-fire/> at the Resolute Bay Observatory*, and the Operations Control Center building (formerly the Early Polar Cap Observatory) burned down. Thankfully no one was hurt. However, some of the equipment required to operate the Resolute Bay Incoherent Scatter Radars (ISRs)*, two diesel generators powering the site, and various auxiliary instruments hosted by the observatory were lost. Fortunately, the ISR faces and diesel generators used to power the ISRs do not appear to have been impacted by the fire.

Consequently, the Resolute Bay ISRs will be offline until the site power is restored and the destroyed radar equipment is replaced. This is an evolving situation and we will be updating the community as we know more about the timeline for restoration both for the ISR capability and observatory instruments.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.

*The Resolute Bay Observatory and RISR-N are operated by the SRI International for the NSF under a cooperative agreement.

Thank you,
Asti Bhatt