CEDAR email: EGU session announcement

Petr Šácha o.o.d.sachta at seznam.cz
Wed Nov 16 01:45:32 MST 2022

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to a new session of the EGU General
Assembly 2023.

AS1.32
Structural changes in the middle and upper atmosphere
Convener: Juan Antonio Añel
Co-conveners: M. G. Mlynczak, Viktoria Sofieva, Petr Šácha, Laura de la
Torre
Link: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/…821
(https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU23/sessionmodification/46821)

Evidence of the impacts of climate change on the middle and upper atmosphere
is increasing, making clear the critical need for observational data to
monitor and understand trends. For example, a contraction of the
stratosphere has been quantified, but we still face significant limitations
on the data available to assess it. Past efforts to study trends have
focused mainly on the atmospheric levels separately (mesosphere,
thermosphere, ionosphere), where cooling and contraction have also been
observed. Monitoring these trends and their impacts on satellites and space
debris needs a continued effort, providing better data and improved insight
into the consequences that increased carbon dioxide has on the middle and
upper atmosphere.

We encourage abstract submissions concerning long-term as well as short-term
changes to the structure of the atmosphere, its parts or localized
circulation phenomena and underlying mechanisms. We especially welcome
presentations about existing data, data gaps and measurements to monitor
trends in the middle and upper atmosphere and the impacts, for example,
changes of the drag on space objects. Also, studies evaluating and
documenting underlying causes and modelling or projecting changes of these
mechanisms are particularly welcomed.

Two important deadlines: Abstract submission deadline is 10 January 2023,
13:00 CET.

Applications for financial support are possible by submitting your abstract
by 1 December 2022, 13:00 CET.

https://egu23.eu/programme/how_to_submit.html

Sincerely,
Petr Šácha.