CEDAR email: Sign up to present at the “Mesoscale drivers of the nightside transition region (NTR): ionospheric and magnetotail evaluations” GEM Focus Group.

Beatriz Gallardo-Lacourt gallardolacourt at cua.edu
Tue May 24 11:50:02 MDT 2022

Dear CEDAR and GEM community,

We would like to invite the community to participate in our GEM Focus Group
“Mesoscale drivers of the nightside transition region (NTR): ionospheric
and magnetotail evaluations”

Our focus group has three sessions at GEM this year. We’ve divided these
sessions into three different themes:

   1.

   First session: MESO/CEDAR joint, Monday June 20, 2022, 13:30 - 15:00
   HST. During this session we will discuss the ionospheric implication and
   phenomena that take place in the NTR. For example, STEVE and SAR arcs. This
   session will be a joint session with CEDAR (connected via video
   conferencing link).
   2.

   Second session: Magnetospheric aspects of the NTR processes, Thursday
   June 23, 2022, 10:30 - 12:00 HST. Inner plasma sheet dynamic, pulsating
   aurora, energetic interactions around the NTR, etc
   3.

   Third session: Meso/Dipolarization joint, Friday June 24, 2022, 10:30 -
   12:00 HST. For this joint session we will follow the Dipolarization FG
   discussion of the last years on the roles that mesoscale phenomena (e.g.
   DFBs, BBFs, injections, streamers) play with respect to the global system
   response (e.g. global dipolarization, MLT wide injections). As the
   Dipolarization FG winds down, the Transition FG will take the lead on this
   topic. For this session, we therefore solicit contributions that address
   this question.

In an attempt to foster discussion, we will prioritize contributions to the
above as we organize the sessions. However, if you would like to present a
contributed update on relevant research that doesn’t fit the above
categories, please feel free to submit a tentative title via the following
form: https://forms.gle/DK6P3PpsicZVvPPt6

Please submit by June 1st (soft deadline)

Prior to the meeting we will publish a preliminary agenda on the FG website
<https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_Mesoscale_drivers_of_the_nightside_transition_region_ionospheric_and_magnetotail_evaluations>
.

For remote presenters, virtual contribution options will be available. Feel
free to contact Bea Gallardo-Lacourt (gallardolacourt at cua.edu) with
questions.

Bea Gallardo-Lacourt

Emma Spanswick