CEDAR email: Open Applications for Rossbypalooza 2022 Summer School

Tatsu Monkman tdmonkman at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 2 18:39:48 MST 2022

Announcing Rossbypalooza 2022: “Clouds and Convection in Diverse Climates”

Jul. 11-22, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL

The Department of the Geophysical Sciences at the University of Chicago is
pleased to announce the return of Rossbypalooza! Rossbypalooza is a
two-week, project-oriented summer school for people from a broad field
including atmospheric, oceanic, and planetary sciences. The summer school
will consist of lectures and projects where participants will work in
groups to address scientific questions of their choice, mentored by
advising faculty members. We sincerely invite graduate students and
postdocs in the related fields to apply for the event.

Topic: Clouds and Convection in Diverse Climates. Clouds and convection are
key components and one of the major sources of uncertainty in the climate
system. Given the strong coupling of clouds to dynamics, radiation, and
microphysics, there is a great need for theoretical, observational, and
modeling advancements. We will approach the problem of clouds and
convection in the atmosphere, ocean, and on other planets from a diverse
range of perspectives, including simple theory, observational constraint,
and representation in climate models.

Eligibility: Graduate students and postdocs are invited to apply. We
require all participating individuals to be fully vaccinated unless they
cannot do so because of a medical or religious reason or other authorized
exemptions. We will provide attendees’ accommodation and food (breakfast
and lunch) during Rossbypalooza.

Application: Applications can be submitted through this Google Form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe1TGFEMTpb6RA3xy5MZ9QDiOyW55apyRnaRVZmRZNNgDUEiQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>
 before April 22nd, 2022. We expect to make acceptance decisions by May
6th, 2022. Note that a CV, a research statement (maximum 300 words) and a
statement of purpose (maximum of 200 words) are required to apply.

Information: Please contact rossbypalooza at uchicago.edu or visit the event
website <http://www.rossbypalooza.org/rossby2022/> for additional
information.

Best wishes,