CEDAR email: AGU 2022 Session SM009

Gareth Perry gperry at njit.edu
Mon Jul 25 12:30:33 MDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

We cordially invite you to submit an abstract to the following AGU session.

SM009 - Geospace Research from Polar Environments: A Focus on Polar Cap Dynamics

The uniqueness of polar regions for conducting geospace research has been acknowledged for decades. This is because instrumentation located at high-latitudes allows access to a natural laboratory for studying the Earth's atmosphere, its space environment, and solar-generated interplanetary structures. Many fundamental aspects of the plasma dynamics in the polar regions remains unsolved, including the origin of interhemispheric asymmetries, representing a barrier to understanding the thermosphere-ionosphere-magnetosphere system. These dynamics impact a number of important phenomena such as (and not only) auroral patterns, induced electrical currents, geomagnetic field geometry, ionospheric electrodynamics, ion-neutral coupling, temperature and winds in the neutral atmosphere. This session solicits papers on recent advances in space physics, aeronomy and space weather focusing on polar cap dynamics. Studies discussing observations or modeling results that place polar dynamics in global context are highly encouraged.

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago - virtually or in person!

Hyomin Kim
Gareth Perry
Emma Spanswick
Andrew Gerrard