CEDAR email: AGU SA10 - Dynamics of the Thermosphere and Ionosphere System at Low and Middle Latitudes due to the External and Internal Forcing

Quan Gan Quan.Gan at lasp.colorado.edu
Tue Jul 19 10:24:54 MDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the SA10 session entitled "Dynamics of the Thermosphere and Ionosphere System at Low and Middle Latitudes due to the External and Internal Forcing" at the forthcoming AGU. The session solicitates scientific studies regarding the dynamics of the T-I system at low and middle latitudes associated with wave activities, geomagnetic storms and so forth. We would like to highlight research work employing data from recent satellite missions, in conjunction with ground-based observations and modeling. We cordially invite you to submit abstracts (the deadline is Aug 3).

Best regards,
Quan Gan (LASP/CU), Joanne Wu (UC Berkeley), Wenbin Wang (HAO/NCAR), Nicholas Pedatella (HAO/NCAR), and Hui Wang (Wuhan Univ.)

Session Title:

SA010. Dynamics of the Thermosphere and Ionosphere System at Low and Middle Latitudes due to the External and Internal Forcing

Session Description:

The GOLD, COSMIC-2 and ICON missions, along with existing ground-based and space-based observations as well as advances in numerical modeling capabilities, provide an exciting opportunity to study the variability in the thermosphere and ionosphere system due to various forcing from above and below. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the changes of the winds, composition, and thermal structure in the thermosphere, as well as electric field and electron density in the ionosphere due to geomagnetic activity, waves arising from the lower atmosphere and sudden stratospheric warmings, etc. We solicit presentations that address scientific issues with respect to variability in the thermosphere and ionosphere using observations, numerical simulations, and general circulation models.

Quan Gan (Ph.D.)
Research Associate
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics
University of Colorado Boulder
3665 Discovery Drive
Boulder, CO, 80303