CEDAR email: COSPAR-22-C1.7: Information Theory and Machine (corrected web link)

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 12 21:03:48 MST 2022

We would like to draw your attention and invite you to consider submitting
an abstract to session C1.7 in Scientific Commission C to be held at the
COSPAR 2022 - 44th General Assembly in Athens, July 16?24 2022.
Abstract submission deadline Feb 11, 2022:
https://www.cosparathens2022.org/attending/registration-abstract-submission/

COSPAR-22-C1.7: Information Theory and Machine Learning for Geospace
Research
Session details (
https://www.cospar-assembly.org/admin/sessioninfo.php?session=1030):
Recent works point to a considerable importance of information theory and
machine learning in Space Physics and Space Weather. Information-theoretic
measures have been used to shed light on the storm-substorm interaction and
the solar wind drivers of the outer radiation belt through the general
perspective of quantifying information transfer, including linear and
nonlinear mechanisms. Machine learning techniques have been applied to the
forecasting of geomagnetic indices, relativistic electrons at
geosynchronous orbits, solar flares occurrence, coronal mass ejection
propagation time, solar wind speed. We invite contributions of information
theory for uncovering relevant yet complex processes interlinking different
geospace subsystems, variables and spatio-temporal scales. We solicit
contributions of machine learning for space weather forecasting and on open
challenges for the community related to the combination of physics-based
and machine learning approaches, known as gray box. Stud
ies combining information theory and machine learning in geospace would be
of particular interest.

Confirmed Solicited Speakers:
Joe Borovsky (Space Science Institute, USA),
Jakob Bortnik (UCLA, USA),
Adnane Osmane (University of Helsinki, Finland),
Jorge Amaya (KU Leuven, Belgium)

We look forward to receiving your contributions and thank you very much for
your attention.
Sincerely yours,
The session conveners: Georgios Balasis (NOA, Greece), Simon Wing (JHUAPL,
USA), Enrico Camporeale (NOAA, USA), Jay Johnson (Andrews University, USA),
Giovanni Lapenta (KU Leuven, Belgium)

Simon Wing
240-228-8075
simon.wing at jhuapl.edu<mailto:simon.wing at jhuapl.edu>