CEDAR email: Fwd: [Ext] Workshops April 25-27: EarthScope Alaska Synthesis and EON-ROSE

Seebany Datta-Barua sdattaba at iit.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:46:57 MST 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Freymueller, Jeffrey <freymuel at msu.edu>
Date: Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 1:03 PM
Subject: [Ext] Workshops April 25-27: EarthScope Alaska Synthesis and
EON-ROSE
To: unav_all at unavco.org <unav_all at unavco.org>

Some of you will have seen this call before, but I am sending it out again
(and more broadly), as we have delayed decisions on support for attending
this workshop due to the ever-evolving pandemic situation. If you have
already responded, we have your response saved. If not, and you are still
interested, then please respond by the end of February as we will make
decisions about travel in early March. More information about the workshops
is now available on the website:

https://www.eonroseworkshop.ca

We continue to plan for a follow-up Alaska Synthesis workshop and a
coordinated workshop for the Canadian EON-ROSE program during the week of
April 25, immediately following the SSA meeting, in Nanaimo, BC Canada at
the Vancouver Island Conference Centre (https://viconference.com). We
anticipate that the current surge of omicron COVID-19 cases will have
abated by then, allowing an in-person meeting with a virtual attendance
option. The Alaska workshop will be held on April 25, and will focus on
follow-up discussions of activities discussed at the May 2021 virtual
workshop, and new findings of interest. This will overlap the first day of
the EON-ROSE workshop, which will focus on the problem of induced
seismicity. Travel support for US participants will be available, both for
those attending the Alaska side meeting and the EON-ROSE workshop. There is
also the option of remote participation in all of the events.

About EON-ROSE:

https://csegrecorder.com/articles/view/ccarray-and-eon-rose-emerging-pan-canadian-multidisciplinary-research

The current schedule is as follows:

Sunday April 24:                Transit from Seattle area to Nanaimo on the
ferry, or fly to Nanaimo

Monday April 25:              Alaska Synthesis Workshop

                                                EON-ROSE day 1: Induced
Seismicity

Tuesday April 26:              EON-ROSE day 2: Critical minerals systems,
including seismic imaging

Wednesday April 27:       EON-ROSE day 3: Applications of GNSS, Space
Weather, and Critical Zone

There will be no registration fees, and travel support for US participants
will be available. Participants may attend all or only some days, although
priority for travel support will be given to those who attend multiple days
and/or only need incremental support as they are also attending the SSA
meeting. There will be an option for virtual participation for the entire
event.

If you are selected for travel support, we will need to arrange flights or
ferry tickets (if possible) through an MSU-affiliated travel agency. We are
hoping to be able to arrange for a block of rooms that can be billed
directly so that travelers do not have to pay. Some meals will be provided
as part of the workshop, but otherwise meals, ground transportation and
miscellaneous expenses will be the responsibility of the traveler.

To register interest, and request travel support, please fill out the
survey at the link below before the end of February:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdQDLhfqOXjcV8z76sMlov-8xRlv8EUhch52lCDrH6JxnJ05A/viewform?usp=sf_link

We understand that at this moment, people might want to attend in person
but not yet be sure if that will be possible. Thus we will interpret
interest in in-person attendance accordingly. Full commitment to in-person
attendance will be needed closer to the time of the meeting, when it
becomes necessary to book travel.

Finally, if the COVID-19 pandemic situation does not improve or
deteriorates further, we will hold the workshop as entirely virtual, but on
those scheduled dates.

*Background*: EON-ROSE (Earth-System Observing Network – Réseau
d’Observation du Système terrestrE) is a proposed international scientific
initiative designed to enable trans-disciplinary research on Earth systems
processes from the mantle to the magnetosphere. EON-ROSE is spearheaded by
the creation of a continent-scale open-data Earth Systems observational
network. A proposed initial pilot program (CCArray) will focus on the
Canadian Cordillera – the mountainous regions of western Canada – which
represents a world-class natural laboratory to holistically examine
coupled-Earth systems.

*Scientific Workshop*: During the week of April 25, 2022, EON-ROSE is
convening a scientific workshop at the Vancouver Island Conference Centre
in Nanaimo, British Columbia. The workshop will have a hybrid format and
will provide a venue to share recent research results that are relevant to
CCArray, including two Geoscience BC research projects (*Garibaldi
Geothermal Volcanic Belt Assessment Project* and *Understanding and
Mitigating Induced Seismicity Risk in the Kiskatinaw Area, BC*). It also
represents an opportunity to renew international scientific partnerships,
including the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences and EarthScope,
and to discuss new research areas such as *critical mineral systems*.

Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller

Endowed Chair for Geology of the Solid Earth

Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences

Michigan State University

URLs: https://ees.natsci.msu.edu/people/faculty/freymueller-jeffrey/,
https://msu.edu/~freymuel/