CEDAR email: Ionospheric Physicist position

John Noto john.noto at orionspace.com
Mon Apr 25 21:58:25 MDT 2022

Orion Space Systems is looking for an Ionospheric Scientist to join our team in Louisville Colorado.
Please see the ad below and apply through https://orionspace.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=86

Ionospheric Scientist
Science & Research · Louisville, Colorado
Who We Are
Atmospheric & Space Technology Research Associates, L.L.C. (dba Orion Space Solutions) was born out of the vision for applying fundamental space physics knowledge to address real-world problems. Founded in 2005, and based in Louisville, Colorado, Orion Space Solutions is a leader in the “New Space” small satellite industry. We leverage our scientific and engineering expertise to develop unique solutions to address complex space physics challenges, including instrumentation, modeling capabilities, and data analytics; Orion Space Solutions turns science into data, data into knowledge. We are scientists, researchers, engineers and business people dedicated to solving global problems that affect how man-kind lives, works and plays on our planet and in space through applied science backed by empirical knowledge. If you want to be part of a highly collaborative team, work in an amazing environment surrounded by the best and the brightest, solving BIG problems for our planet, read on.

This Opportunity
We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Ionospheric Scientist to join our team in Louisville, Colorado, to support and possibly lead multiple ionospheric science projects. The candidate should: 1) possesses knowledge of ionospheric processes, and modelling; 2) is comfortable using and contributing to scientific software models, and; 3) has demonstrated experience writing technical reports and publishing findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals.

Your Impact
Ionospheric Science (80%)
	•  Use models and data to study the ionosphere, its coupling to the magnetosphere and solar wind, and its effects on space systems.
	• Communicate findings in technical writing through technical reports and peer-reviewed journal publications
	• Modify and write software using modern software coding standards and tools
	• Collaborate with medium-sized teams
	• Possible projects: ionospheric electrodynamics, coupling to the magnetosphere and solar wind, polar holes, thermospheric modelling for satellite drag prediction, data assimilation, ionospheric scintillation, machine learning / artificial intelligence technologies, etc.

Business Development (20%)
	• Assist in Business Development activities such as writing proposals, presenting at scientific conferences and workshops, and collaborating with scientific colleagues and industry partners outside of Orion.

Required Qualifications
	•  PhD in Ionospheric Physics, Atmospheric or Space Sciences, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical field
	•  3+ years beyond PhD
	•  Experience in ionospheric science

Preferred
	•  4+ years experience beyond PhD, including demonstrated experience writing proposals to government sponsors and agencies.
	•  Experience with common climatological, physics-based, and assimilation software tools. -Experience with cloud computing and AWS, running models on supercomputers, and coupling multiple models together.
	•  proficiency with high-level programming languages (python, Matlab, IDL..) as well as low-level languages (Fortran, C, C++, ...)
		•  use of common ionospheric data types (vertical and oblique ionosondes, in-situ electron density, GNSS TEC, and GNSS-RO).
	•  Ability to obtain a security clearance.

Compensation & Benefits
	•  Paid time off, paid holidays, and a flexible schedule.
	•  Health/dental/vision insurance packages.
	•  401K Benefits.
	•  Compensation: $100,000 - $180,000 Annual (competitive compensation commensurate with experience and skills).

We are an equal opportunity employer.  We consider all qualified applicants for positions without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.

As a government contractor we are subject to COVID-19 regulations.

John Noto
Chief Scientist

Orion Space Solutions, LLC
282 Century Place, Suite 1000  |  Louisville, CO  80027
Office (303) 993-8039 ext. 714  |  orionspace.com
Effective January 31, 2022 my email will be changed to John.Noto at orionspace.com.