CEDAR email: JOB OPENINGS: Two Civil Service Research Scientists at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center’s Ionosphere/Thermosphere/Mesosphere Physics Lab (application period begins May 20, 2022)

Rowland, Douglas (GSFC-6750) douglas.e.rowland at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 19 10:48:30 MDT 2022

From: Doug Rowland (douglas.e.rowland at nasa.gov), Alexa Halford

The Ionosphere, Thermosphere, Mesosphere Physics Laboratory (“ITM Lab”) at NASA Goddard seeks to hire two full-time researchers studying aspects of ITM dynamics, coupling, and chemistry:

  1.  A senior (GS-15 – roughly equivalent to full professor) researcher with experience in developing whole atmosphere models and using them to address critical problems in ITM science. This is a “permanent” position, meaning it comes with civil service tenure after a one-year probation period. The application period for this position will be open May 20, 2022 through May 24, 2022. Applications are through USAJobs, and the vacancy announcement is located here:

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/649052900

  1.  An early-career (GS-13 – roughly equivalent to assistant professor) researcher with experience in using satellite and ground-based observations to address critical problems in ITM science. This is a six-year “term” position that has the potential to be converted to a tenured position. The application period for this position will be open from May 20, 2022 through May 26, 2022. Applications are through USAJobs, and the vacancy announcement is located here:

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/649054800

The ITM Lab, formed in 2018, consists of ~45 government and university researchers, and addresses a wide range of problems in the middle and upper atmospheres and ionospheres of Earth and other planets. Our lab cultivates strong collaborations with the Solar, Heliospheric, Geospace, and Space Weather Labs at NASA Goddard, providing great potential for interdisciplinary collaborations in Heliophysics. The ITM Lab also enjoys strong collaborations with NASA Goddard’s Earth Science, Planetary Science, and Astrophysics Divisions.

Because of the short application periods for these positions, we encourage interested applicants to prepare their USAJobs CV and other application materials well in advance to smooth the application process. The vacancy announcements listed above can be viewed now, but applications cannot be entered for those jobs until May 20, when the application periods open.

These are US Government Civil Service positions and applicants are expected to have experience in related areas of research. While most researchers live and work on-site at the Greenbelt, MD campus, there is flexibility for telework and remote work on a case-by-case basis. We encourage all interested to apply.

If you have questions about these positions, please contact:

Doug Rowland, ITM Lab Chief                                      douglas.e.rowland at nasa.gov<mailto:douglas.e.rowland at nasa.gov>
Alexa Halford, ITM Lab Associate Chief    alexa.j.halford at nasa.gov<mailto:alexa.j.halford at nasa.gov>

--
Doug Rowland (he/him)
Chief, Ionosphere, Thermosphere, Mesosphere Physics Laboratory (Code 675)

Work e-mail: douglas.e.rowland at nasa.gov<mailto:douglas.e.rowland at nasa.gov>

While I’m working remotely, the best way to contact me is via email, or text message on Microsoft Teams.

Note 1: I generally only send, read, or answer emails on weekdays between the hours of 9 AM – 5 PM (Eastern). If you receive an email from me outside either my or your normal business hours, please do not feel obligated to send a response until you are next “in the office”.

Note 2: Here’s a resource that highlights the value of including personal pronouns in one’s signature/display name: https://www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mypronouns.org%2Fwhat-and-why&data=04%7C01%7Cdouglas.e.rowland%40nasa.gov%7Cfd79d79a56ae4c38535908d9b4499320%7C7005d45845be48ae8140d43da96dd17b%7C0%7C0%7C637739050350557010%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=MmV6O2OxNlVSPXWlDQlFXN1LDkNAyCmDFWFhwJsz2Io%3D&reserved=0>