CEDAR email: Space Weather Effects session at Beacon Satellite Symposium:

Endawoke Yizengaw endawoke.yizengaw at aero.org
Sat Apr 9 19:04:52 MDT 2022

We draw your attention to consider submitting abstract to the following session at the 2022 Beacon Satellite Symposium. Full information about the meeting can be found http://www.bc.edu/bss2022
Session: Space Weather Effects
Space weather events become noticeable in the geospace system either by the direct action of solar flares onto the atmosphere or through the coupling of the solar wind into the magnetosphere and ionosphere via the geomagnetic field or due to the forcing from lower thermosphere. The resulting effects can impact positioning, navigation, and communications. The best way to prepare for near- and long-term space-weather impacts on modern society is to improve our ability in understanding the physics and forecasting space weather conditions and to fully realize and mitigate its impact on our technological infrastructure. The goal of this session is to provide a forum for discussing space weather driven ionospheric dynamics in the context of radio frequency applications for operations. We welcome papers that fully or partially contribute to the effort of addressing the following questions: How can ionospheric monitoring and modelling be utilized to further our understanding of space weather in its complexity?, How can ionospheric monitoring and modelling help to mitigate the impact of positioning and navigation applications?, How are ionospheric dynamics impacted by energy inputs, either directly from the sun or indirectly via coupling processes with other geospheres such as the thermosphere and magnetosphere?, What is the driver of the magnetically quiet time strong ionospheric  dynamics that has strong impact on RF communications, is it due to the  forcing from below, e.g., gravity wave forcing? If so, how can it be  characterized as a function of longitude, local time and season?, How can ionospheric dynamics be described, benchmarked and forecasted effectively to correct and mitigate the ionospheric impact on applications utilizing trans-ionospheric radio signals?, How can this information be provided to customers in an appropriate form according to their needs, e.g. considering latency, temporal and  spatial resolution, and reliability, taking into account international  perspectives on observations, modeling and forecasting?
Thank you,
Endawoke Yizengaw (PhD)
Senior Scientist, Space Science Application Laboratory
The Aerospace Corporation<https://aerospace.org/>