CEDAR email: Job Opportunity: Institutional Chief Scientist at ASTRA (Atmospheric & Space Technology Research Associates)

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Sat Sep 11 07:38:09 MDT 2021

Atmospheric & Space Technology Research Associates (ASTRA) is seeking
applications for the role of Institutional Chief Scientist. ASTRA was born
out of the vision for applying fundamental atmospheric and space physics
knowledge to address real-world problems. Founded in 2005, and based in
Louisville, Colorado, ASTRA is a leader in the “New Space” small satellite
industry. We leverage our scientific and engineering expertise to develop
unique solutions to address our customer’s complex problems in atmospheric
and space physics disciplines, instrumentation, modeling capabilities, and
data science (covering the full data lifecycle).  We are scientists,
researchers, engineers and business people dedicated to solving global
problems that affect how human-kind lives, works and plays on our planet
and in space through applied science backed by empirical knowledge. We turn
science into data, and data into knowledge for our customers.  If you want
to be part of a transdisciplinary and highly collaborative team, and work
in an amazing environment surrounded by the best and the brightest, solving
BIG problems for our planet, read on.

*Job Description:* The Institutional Chief Scientist will be a member of
the ASTRA Executive Team, overseeing and managing the scientific functions
and operations of the company, including basic and applied research
projects, as well as the development of new processes, technologies, or
products. The Chief Scientist will help set overarching research and
scientific priorities in support of the company mission and organizational
goals. The Chief Scientist connects the Science Division to all Divisions
at ASTRA (Engineering, Mission Operations, Business Development) in
building a transdisciplinary approach to science. This role requires a
combination of demonstrated science and business know-how, demonstrated
ability to manage and mentor other scientists, ability to develop new
research programs, external partnerships, and business alliances, as well
as the ability to align scientific functions with the company’s mission and
vision. The Chief Scientist will also have opportunities to conduct and
lead their own personal research and projects.

*Roles & Responsibilities:*

Management (up to 50%)

•      Participate on the ASTRA Executive Team and manage science team
efforts

•      Develop overarching ASTRA science strategy, with support from the
science team

•      Support and mentor ASTRA core science team, comprised of ~15 members

•       Assist with publication of ASTRA science team research

•      Connect the ASTRA Science Division to each of the other Divisions at
ASTRA

Business Development (up to 25%)

•       Envision cross-disciplinary teams for frontier space physics
research and missions

•       Engage the community, developing partnerships and identifying
opportunities

•       Write proposals to funding entities to create new science and
engineering programs

•       Lead and/or support ASTRA science and engineering team proposal
efforts

Scientific Research (up to 25%)

•       Conduct personal research

•       Publish in leading journals

•       Lead ASTRA science and engineering missions

•       Represent ASTRA at conferences

*Qualifications*:

Required

   - Education: PhD in Space or Atmospheric Physics, or related technical
   field
   - Research Experience: 15+ years of demonstrated scientific research,
   including publications
   - Proposal & Program Development Experience: 10+ years of demonstrated
   ability to write successful proposals, initiate and lead new research
   programs
   - Management Experience: 5+ years of demonstrated scientific team
   management
   - Willingness to Travel: up to 20%

Preferred

   - Executive Management Experience: 3+ years of demonstrated
   institutional management
   - Location: Louisville, CO area

Additional Information:

   - Competitive compensation
   - Comprehensive benefits package which includes health insurance and
   401(k) with  company contribution
   - Paid time off
   - Interesting, challenging work centered around your capabilities,
   interest and work style
   - A focus on staff development
   - An opportunity to join a successful, fast-growth organization - and
   put your thumb print on our future development

ASTRA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO), promoting a diverse,
equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment. All your information will
be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. ASTRA is committed to
hiring and retaining a diverse workforce.

The position is currently open, and the successful applicant can start as
soon as possible. Applicants are required to furnish a cover letter stating
research interests and experience, a CV, and a list of 3 professional
references.  Review of application materials will begin immediately and
will continue until the position is filled. For further inquiries, contact
Dr. Geoff Crowley (gcrowley at astraspace.net) or Chad Fish (cfish at
astraspace.net).

*Geoff Crowley, Ph.D.*
Founder | CEO

*ASTRA, LLC*
282 Century Place, Ste 1000  |   Louisville, CO  80027
Cell (210) 834-3475