CEDAR email: ISWAT on “Ionospheric perturbation indices and scales”

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 25 16:35:21 MDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Ionospheric indices are valuable for studying the ionospheric impact on
GNSS applications and to fulfill GNSS user requirements, in particular in
safety of life (SoL) and precise positioning applications. In addition, the
need for an "Ionospheric Scale" has been identified, to augment the
existing R, S, and G Scales. Following the outcome of the COSPAR PSW.3
session on “Now- and forecast of Ionospheric indices and related scales for
space weather services” a few weeks ago we would like to continue the
discussion within the interested international community.

Therefore, we would like to invite team members and those interested to
participate in an International Space Weather Action Team (ISWAT) on
“Ionospheric perturbation indices and scales” ISWAT G2B-04 (
https://iswat-cospar.org/G2B-0 ), and join a virtual Zoom meeting to
continue the discussion, on* April 27, 2021 at 14-16 GMT.* To stimulate
discussion we plan to have up to 4 presentations, including talks by Charle
Carrano and Keith Keith Groves on combining disparate observations from
ground and space.

The discussion is open to any issues related to ionospheric indices and
scales, e.g., on new options to combining indices from ground and space,
key criteria for defining ionospheric index approaches, aspects how to
standardize computation rules of widely used indices such as S4, Sigma_phi,
ROTI, and others in favor of better comparability and common understanding
of their meaning (scaling). The plan is to initiate coordinated campaigns
based on identical data sets to compare the outcome of different index
approaches with respect to specific user requirements.

If you are interested to join this virtual meeting, please join the ISWAT
team (ISWAT Team members of G2B-04 are automatically invited), or send an
e-mail to

*Norbert Jakowski (German Aerospace Center (DLR,
Germany),  norbert.jakowski at dlr.de <norbert.jakowski at dlr.de>*

*Tim Fuller-Rowell (NOAA/SWPC, USA), tim.fuller-rowell at noaa.gov
<tim.fuller-rowell at noaa.gov>*

Please feel free to make suggestions for short presentations or topics for
discussion.