CEDAR email: Invitation to Participate in Mini-GEM 3D IEMIT Session -19 January 2021

Dogacan Ozturk dsozturk at alaska.edu
Thu Jan 14 12:33:13 MST 2021

Dear CEDAR Scientists,

We would like to invite you to our Mini-GEM 3D Ionospheric Electrodynamics
and Its Impact on the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupled System
Session that will take place on 19 January 2021, Tuesday at 12:00-14:00
EST. This year, our session will be in a panel format starting with
presentations from a diverse group of researchers covering different
aspects of the M-I-T system and followed with a discussion titled “Future
of M-I-T Coupling Research”. Our schedule is as follows:

1. Shin Ohtani : Substorm Field-aligned Current Systems
2. Banafsheh Ferdousi : Forecasting Ground Magnetic Perturbation Using Deep
Learning on Spherical Harmonics
3. Amy Keese : Novel Techniques for Looking at M-I Coupling
4. Tomoko Matsuo : Towards Unified Global and Local Perspectives on
High-latitude Ionospheric Electrodynamics
5. Meghan Burleigh : Exploring the Auroral Ionosphere in 3D
6. Shasha Zou : Multi-scale Ionospheric Structures Driven by M-I-T Coupling
Processes
7. Roger Varney : Mesoscale Energy Deposition in the Polar Cap
8. Dong Lin : M-I-T Coupling with the Multiscale Atmosphere-Geospace
Environment (MAGE) Model
9. Panel Discussion

The discussion will start with the following questions:
1. Where do you think the next step forward in M-I-T research lies?

2. What is one outstanding challenge of M-I-T research since you started
your career?

3. In your opinion, what is one topic that researchers in other subfields
could be working on?

Participants can submit their questions before the session to Dogacan
Ozturk (dsozturk at alaska.edu) or during the session on the Zoom chat/Slack
channels.

You can find more information on the GEM-Wiki Page which will have the most
up to date meeting information.

https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_3D_Ionospheric_Electrodynamics_and_Its_Impact_on_the_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere_Coupled_System

We are looking forward to your participation!

Dogacan Su Ozturk

p.p. Hyunju Connor, Binzheng Zhang, Gang Lu, Haje Korth