CEDAR email: RAS G Meeting – 9 April 2021 – System-scale observations and modelling of solar wind-magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling

John Coxon J.Coxon at soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 17 05:25:50 MST 2021

Hello everyone,

We are thrilled to announce that abstract submission is now open for the 9 April 2021 RAS G Meeting, on “System-scale observations and modelling of solar wind-magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling”. The convenors are John Coxon (Southampton), Rob Shore (BAS), Anasuya Aruliah (UCL) and Sarah Bentley (Northumbria). Abstracts can be submitted through the form at https://forms.gle/UfopRwQS7Pkbr5eZA and the deadline is 15 March 2021. Please contact J.Coxon at soton.ac.uk<mailto:J.Coxon at soton.ac.uk> if you have any questions for the convenors.

The invited talk will be given by Prof. Colin Waters (University of Newcastle, Australia). Prof. Waters is an expert in the field of system-scale science and has made several huge contributions to the field, including work on the AMPERE and SuperMAG datasets. We are excited to hear him speak at the meeting!

The abstract is as follows:

The impact of external drivers on Earth’s magnetosphere is of increasing interest to the scientific community as policy-makers begin to recognise the hazard posed by space weather. A key part of this is understanding the magnetospheric response to these stimuli on the scale of the system by treating it holistically. We aim to reconcile our existing understanding of physics and coupling across all scales. Only by combining processes on different scales can we understand how they give rise to collective behaviour in the coupled magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere system. This meeting will bring members of the community who are working on system-scale science together, with the aim of sharing the state-of-the-art in analysis techniques and physical results coming from system-scale datasets such as AMPERE, SuperDARN and SuperMAG and also system-scale models. A synthesis of data and techniques is necessary for fully developing both our scientific understanding of the Sun’s effects on Earth and also our operational capacity to forecast the hazards posed to us by space weather.

Yours,

John

--
Dr John Coxon (he/him)
Research Associate in Magnetospheric Physics

Space Environment Physics Group
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Southampton
Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK