CEDAR email: InGeO team seeking community input

Asti Bhatt asti.bhatt at sri.com
Wed Feb 10 12:47:47 MST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

The Integrated Geoscience Observatory (InGeO) team has begun planning
for the 2021 releases of Resen, our Reproducible Software Environment
platform, and we would like to hear your input on new Python packages
and toolkits that would be useful in your research!  Resen uses
containerization technology to create self-contained computational
environments where users can easily perform scientific analyses and then
package and share code and results in a system agnostic manner, creating
computationally reproducible results. This makes it easy to bundle code
and data together and obtain a doi to cite in a journal article.

Resen was originally released at CEDAR in 2019, and since then the team
has been releasing regular updates biannually.  For more information on
the InGeO project and Resen, please see the InGeO website
(https://ingeo.datatransport.org
<https://ingeo.datatransport.org/home/>) or the Resen documentation
(https://resen.readthedocs.io/en/v2020.2.1/
<https://resen.readthedocs.io/en/v2020.2.1/>).

One of the main advantages of Resen is that our computation environments
(called “buckets”) come pre-installed with a variety of community
developed Python packages, which makes it much easier for researchers to
start producing results immediately.  Resen currently has a fairly wide
range of packages available
(https://ingeo.datatransport.org/home/resen/packages
<https://ingeo.datatransport.org/home/resen/packages>), but we are
looking for community feedback as to new packages that are useful for
the geospace researchers.  If you have developed a toolkit that may be
useful to the broader CEDAR community, or just have packages you
frequently use in your work, please let us know so we can consider
adding them!  Feel free to reach out to us either through the InGeO team
email address (ingeo-team at ingeo.datatransport.org
<mailto:ingeo-team at ingeo.datatransport.org>) or by submitting a GitHub
issue (https://github.com/EarthCubeInGeo/resen-core/issues
<https://github.com/EarthCubeInGeo/resen-core/issues>).

Thank you,

The InGeO team

(Asti Bhatt, Ashton Reimer, Leslie Lamarche, Todd Valentic, Pablo Reyes)