CEDAR email: EGU 2022 - ST2.6 - Observations and modelling of the effects of solar wind pressure pulses on the terrestrial magnetosphere

Alexandra Ruth Fogg arfogg at cp.dias.ie
Wed Dec 15 09:51:09 MST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

We warmly invite you to submit an abstract to our upcoming session
*Observations and modelling of the effects of solar wind pressure pulses
on the terrestrial magnetosphere (ST2.6)* at the EGU General Assembly
2022. This will be a Virtual PICO session (fully online) during the week
3rd-8th April 2022.

We look forward to receiving your abstract by the submission deadline of
12th January 2022 at 12 UTC.

Please find the details about our session below:

_Observations and modelling of the effects of solar wind pressure pulses
on the terrestrial magnetosphere (ST2.6)_

Positive solar wind pressure pulses are pockets of solar wind plasma
that are faster and/or denser than the surrounding ambient plasma. When
a pressure pulse impacts the terrestrial magnetosphere, it is rapidly
compressed, and the effects propagate inwards resulting in a well
observed enhancement in the magnetic field, as evidenced in the SYM-H
index; this communication of a pressure pulse into the magnetosphere is
known as a geomagnetic sudden commencement (SC). SCs can be further
subdivided into sudden impulses (SIs) and sudden storm commencements
(SSCs), where in the latter case, the pressure pulse triggers a
geomagnetic storm. Even for small, short lived, pressure enhancements,
the effects on the terrestrial magnetosphere can be dramatic, exciting
and even reconfiguring the electrodynamics within. Among these effects,
observations and modelling have shown: enhancements and restructuring of
high latitude ionospheric currents and convection; auroral emission
excited by particle precipitation; energisation of the plasmasphere;
excitation of magnetospheric current systems; enhanced ULF wave activity.
In this session, we invite contributions based on both observations and
modelling of the effect of solar wind pressure pulses on the coupled
solar wind – magnetosphere – ionosphere system. We seek to facilitate
crossover discussion between the observational and modelling communities
on pressure pulse driving of phenomena including (but not limited to):
ULF wave propagation; ionospheric convection; ionospheric and
magnetospheric current systems; auroral emission; terrestrial radio
emissions; plasmasphere effects.

More details: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/43639

Thanks,

Alexandra Fogg, Tom Elsden and Mark Lester

--
Dr. Alexandra Ruth Fogg (she/her)

Postdoctoral Researcher
School of Cosmic Physics - Astronomy & Astrophysics
Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1139-5920