CEDAR email: CEDAR updates

Astrid Maute maute at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 3 20:31:14 MDT 2020

Dear CEDAR Community,

A CEDAR update as many of us make a transition from Summer to Fall
academics and many online interactions. Please join CEDAR science on slack
with several channels
https://join.slack.com/t/cedarscience/shared_invite/zt-h1qpoko6-TxNzFBlVTL78~2S8ZW3KXA
.

1. First a very hearty 'thank you' for all the support in taking our 2020
Summer meeting to a virtual format. As you might guess this was not easy.
The meeting support team at CPAESS did an amazing job. Astrid Maute also
did a lot of ‘heavy lifting’ in the liaison efforts between CPAESS and the
CEDAR Science Steering Committee (CSSC). CPAESS has been working on
in-person plans for the 2021 meeting which is currently planned to take
place in Colorado Springs.

2. One of the highlights of the summer meeting was the Student Day. If you
would like a refresher tutorial on topics near and dear to CEDAR, please go
to the agenda
http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/images/3/31/2020_CEDAR_VMagenda_V4c.pdf
and follow the links to the video recording there (note that recording
start times for each presentation are given in the agenda).

3. CEDAR students also wrote summaries of all the Student Day talks and of
several other sessions. The summary can be found in the CEDAR Student
Newsletter at
http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/images/b/b2/2020_CEDAR2020_SNL.pdf with a
link to the recoding.

4. You have likely seen a number of announcements about the Heliophysics
2050 meeting (https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/helio2050/) in the planning
stages for next spring. The deadline for white papers is 11 September 2020.
Please visit
https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/helio2050/whitepapers/ for more
information. This is your opportunity to help map the future of
investigations that will support CEDAR-related science.

5. We are planning a fall 2020 CSSC meeting. New CSSC members are Larisa
Goncharenko of MIT Haystack (incoming CSSC Chair), Meghan Lemay of Boston
University (student Representative), Endawoke Yizengaw of The Aerospace
Corporation (Representative) and Huixin Liu of Kyushu University, Japan
(International Representative). If you have items/issues that you think
need attention please raise them to any CSSC member, whose email can be
found at http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/Community:CSSC

6. Finally, the CEDAR summer science meeting hosted a diversity, equity,
and inclusion (DEI) workshop, which produced a number of ideas about
improving DEI in the CEDAR community and at the CEDAR summer meeting. Most
importantly the CSSC is supporting a DEI taskforce composed of CSSC members
(with Dr. McArthur Jones Jr. (NRL) as lead) and at-large members from the
CEDAR community. You should have seen an initial correspondence from that
DEI task force this week. This topic is an important element of the
vitality of our community. As most of you know I am a researcher/educator.
As an educator I was particularly struck by a TED talk given by a female
student from Colorado State University. I commend this presentation to you:
https://www.ted.com/talks/janaye_matthews_the_mental_tuition_of_marginalization
as a motivation to think more deeply about the challenges of being someone
in the STEM arena who is not in the majority. In my view, every CEDAR
scientist should be committed to a future where the marginalization this
young woman describes is a thing of the past for any member of our society.

Please stay safe and resilient

Delores J. Knipp for the CEDAR Science Steering Committee