CEDAR email: Followup: Millstone Hill Fabry-Perot interferometer (Neutral parameters) online and operational

Phil Erickson pje at mit.edu
Mon Mar 30 14:23:55 MDT 2020

Hi all,

  As a quick follow up to the Millstone Hill IS radar status update, it's
important to point out that not all instruments are offline at the Haystack
complex.  In particular, the long duration Millstone Hill Fabry-Perot
interferometers continue operation.  The FPIs are operated by Scientific
Solutions Incorporated with network, power, and building infrastructure
provided by MIT Haystack.

  Bob Kerr of SSI reports that both the FPI red line (F region neutral
winds, temperature) and green line (E region neutral winds, temperature)
systems are fully functional and generating data into the Madrigal system
practically every clear night, except for right at full moon.  Haystack's
campus closure means there is no access to the instruments at the moment
for maintenance or repair, but things are still operating.

Details:

"Although building access is restricted, we do continue to acquire and
provide optical data, and the FPIs at MH could be remotely configured for
specialized experiments if requested.  Otherwise, we continue with the
usual data products until something fails.  In fact, i will be interrupting
the data taking every now and then in the next 60 days to look at 6300 from
Comet Austin, which is now aptly positioned in the Northern Sky (high
elevation) at Millstone. "

  Please contact Bob directly at <rkerr at cpi.com> for
followup questions.  I will update with other instrument status at Haystack
as it becomes available.

Regards,
Phil Erickson for the Millstone Hill PI team (Frank Lind, Anthea Coster,
Larisa Goncharenko, Shunrong Zhang)

-----
Philip Erickson, Ph.D.
Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences Group