CEDAR email: AGU session SA003 is calling for abstracts

Dong Lin ldong7 at vt.edu
Tue Jun 30 19:50:58 MDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

Now that the AGU abstract system is open, it is our pleasure to invite you
to participate in our AGU Fall Meeting Session SA003 on auroral
precipitation. Here is the detailed information of our session:

Session Title:
SA003. Advances in understanding auroral precipitation characteristics and
its effects on the magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling

Session Description:
Auroral precipitation consists of electrons (dominant) and ions of
magnetospheric origin that are lost in the atmosphere. Based on the various
mechanisms that drive the precipitating particles, auroral precipitation
has been categorized into several primary types, including mono-energetic,
diffuse, broadband, and cusp entry. Each type of precipitation has its
characteristic energy and flux, and varying spatial distribution and
temporal variability. Auroral precipitation provides important energy
sources of ionization in the ionosphere-thermosphere thus changing the
upper atmospheric states and high-latitude ionospheric conductivity. The
electrodynamic feedback of ionospheric conductivity controls the
magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere (MIT) coupling and fundamental
processes such as convection and Joule heating. Recent advances in
observational and computational capacities have enabled novel understanding
of the characteristics, driving mechanisms, and geospatial effects of
auroral precipitation. This session addresses advances in and issues
related to the driving mechanisms and characteristics of auroral
precipitation, and auroral effects in MIT coupling using observations and
models.

Session Conveners:
Dong Lin (NCAR/HAO), Wenbin Wang (NCAR/HAO), Hyunju Connor (UAF), Christine
Gabrielse (Aerospace Corporation)

We look forward to your participation sincerely.

Best wishes,
-Dong Lin, on behalf of the convener panel

------
*Dong Lin*
PhD, Electrical Engineering
Center for Space Science and Engineering Research (Space at VT)
Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University