CEDAR email: PhD Research Fellowship in Machine Learning within Space Plasma Physics

Lasse Clausen lasse.clausen at fys.uio.no
Mon Feb 3 03:27:09 MST 2020

A position as PhD Research Fellow in Space Plasma Physics is available
at the Department of Physics at the University of Oslo. The primary
focus of this group is to advance our understanding of high latitude
electrodynamics and its impact on technological systems like GPS. The
main tools used in these investigations are ground-based radar and
optical systems, instruments on board spacecraft, advanced numerical
models, and in situ measurements made by sounding rockets.

In this project we intend to harness the emerging machine learning
techniques to revolutionize the way we use auroral imaging data in
magnetospheric research. With this project we plan to significantly
increase our activity in this field, taking advantage of different
auroral wavelengths, the time series nature of the images, and also
including secondary data like auroral indices and magnetometer
measurements. Conceivably, this project could change the way we use
ground-based auroral images in magnetospheric research.

The successful applicant will have the opportunity to take a leading
role throughout the entire project, which includes data analysis,
interpretation of results, and publication of the findings. It is also
expected that the successful candidate will work in close collaboration
with the other members of the 4DSpace initiative at UiO.

More information is available at
https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/182277/phd-research-fellowship-in-space-plasma-physics

--
Lasse Clausen