CEDAR email: Haystack's Twentieth Annual Michael J. Buonsanto Memorial Lecture - Wednesday, 13 November at 3:00 pm EST

Phil Erickson pje at mit.edu
Fri Nov 1 11:55:54 MDT 2019

Hi all,

  On behalf of MIT Haystack Observatory, we are pleased to announce the
availability of a live stream for the Twentieth Annual Michael J. Buonsanto
Memorial Lecture, presented by

Delores J. Knipp
Emeritus Professor of Physics at US Air Force Academy
Research Professor at University of Colorado at Boulder,
Smead Aerospace Engineering Sciences Dept.

Title:
250 Years of 'Extreme Space Weather Storms': What Has the Ionosphere Been
Up To?

Abstract:
Great red aurora have captured the attention of humans for millennia. The
first written record appeared in clay tablet writings in 567 BCE. Tens of
mid- and low-latitude bright red aurora have been documented in the
world-wide literature since then. Approximately 250 years ago an
extraordinary Japanese drawing captured societal response to the great red
aurora of 1770. I will use this drawing as a basis to describe our
understanding of the impacts of these great space weather and auroral
storms on society and technology. With the early 20th Century development
of radio communication, technology impacts were (and are) no longer limited
to great aurora nor to auroral latitudes. As a tribute to Michael Buonsanto
and his abiding interest in the aurora and the ionosphere, I will briefly
highlight impacts of great space-age ionospheric storms and discuss how and
why these storms have global impacts, as he so well knew.

Lecture Date/Time:
Wednesday, 13 November 2018
3:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (20 UTC)
MIT Haystack Conference Room A

  The lecture's frontier science topic is directly relevant to anyone
interested in Earth's atmosphere, whether neutral or ionized.  Students,
professors, and researchers from the international atmospheric science
community are encouraged to attend.

The lecture will be live streamed beginning at 3 pm EST (20 UTC).  Full
details are available now at the Buonsanto lecture series page:

https://www.haystack.mit.edu/buonsanto.html

Note that the live streaming video link through the Haystack Youtube
channel will be available at the top of the page shortly before the lecture
start.

Regards,
Phil

-----