CEDAR email: Job Announcement: Data Assimilation Scientist at ASTRA

Irfan Azeem iazeem at astraspace.net
Sun Jun 16 18:03:40 MDT 2019

ASTRA is seeking applicants for a Data Assimilation Scientist position with
a focus on research and development of data assimilation in the ionosphere.
Candidates with experience in upper atmospheric modeling and data
assimilation are invited to apply for this full-time position.

*Responsibilities*

*Data Assimilation Model Development (50%)*

·  Develop and improve existing techniques in IDA4D for assimilating
ground-based and satellite observations.

·  Develop techniques for assimilating new types of observations in IDA4D

·  Developing ionospheric data assimilation models to forecast GNSS and UHF
scintillations

*Business Development (10%)*

·  Writing/submitting proposals

*Data Assimilation Research (35%)*

·  Perform research and development related to data assimilation in the
ionosphere

·  Design numerical experiments

·  Preparation of manuscripts, presentations, etc.

·  Project reporting

*Internal Research and Development (5%)*

·  Participate in ongoing R&D

·  Propose new R&D efforts

·  Participate in product development efforts

*WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:*

*Required*

·       *Education*: PhD in Atmospheric Science, Space Physics or related
fields

·       *Experience*: Early to Mid-career

·       *Other*: U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, Fortran and IDL
experience, Expertise in Data assimilation and numerical modeling of the
upper atmosphere.

*Preferred*

·       *Other:* Active Security Clearance,  C/C++, Linux/Unix

*Compensation & Benefits:*

·       This is a full time, exempt position. Compensation will be
dependent on experience.

·       We provide paid time off, paid holidays, and a flexible schedule

·       We provide health/dental insurance packages

·       We provide retirement benefits.

*ABOUT ASTRA:*

Building on a foundation of fundamental space physics research, we design,
develop, build and deploy novel ground-based and space-based
instrumentation and sophisticated computer models, which are used by our
customers for space weather monitoring and other specialized applications
to help mitigate potentially catastrophic disruptions to their vital
systems. With a combined breadth of experience spanning decades and
multiple disciplines, our team provides unique capabilities and customized
engineering and data services to customers in both the public and private
sectors.

ASTRA is headquartered in Louisville, CO.

*ASTRA is an equal opportunity employer. *

*Contact:   Geoff Crowley (gcrowley at astraspace.net
<gcrowley at astraspace.net>)*

*                  Irfan Azeem (iazeem at astraspace.net
<iazeem at astraspace.net>)*