CEDAR email: Fall AGU session SA020 Science from an ITM CubeSat constellation

Spann, James F. (HQ-DJ000) jim.spann at nasa.gov
Mon Jul 1 11:34:58 MDT 2019

CEDAR Community email,

Please post the following announcement in your next CEDAR Community Newsletter.

Thank you,

Jim

James Spann, PhD
Space Weather Lead
Heliophysics Division, NASA HQ
202.358.0574 (office)
256.542.7251 (cell)

========== SA020 General Announcement ==========

Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following SPA-Aeronomy session at the 2019 Fall AGU Meeting, 9-13 December 2019 in San Francisco CA.

Session Title: SA020 entitled Science from an ITM CubeSat constellation<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/80049>

Conveners: Rebecca Bishop/Aerospace Corp., Charles Swenson/Utah State University, Jeff Klenzing/NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center, Jim Spann/NASA-Headquarters

Session Abstract: Within the next 12 months, five CubeSat missions investigating the ITM system will be deployed from the ISS with mid-latitude LEO orbits. The links to the science investigation description for LAICE, LLITED, petitSat, SORTIE, and SPORT missions are provided below. Together, these missions, combined with larger missions (e.g. ICON, GOLD, COSMIC-2) and ground networks, create a new ITM constellation whose data can advance our understanding of the dynamic nature and dominant mechanisms that control the region that defines the boundary between Earth’s atmosphere and space. This session invites papers on the science that will use the data from this ITM constellation to investigate the drivers of the variability of this region and how they are coupled.

Index Terms:

•          7837 Neutral particles

•          7868 Wave/wave interactions

•          7894 Instruments and techniques

•          7944 Ionospheric effects on radio waves

The focus of the session is to examine the drivers of ITM variability and how they are coupled. The abstract identifies five CubeSats as a constellation. However, there are several other platforms, listed below with the PI, that also address ITM variability that are appropriate to consider. We encourage you to contribute to our discussion on science from an ITM constellation that is just beginning to evolve.

AERO/VISTA – Frank Lind/Phil Erickson

AWE - Mike Taylor

COSMIC2 - Paul Straus/Elsayed Talaat

DALI – Jim Hect

E-TBEx - Rick Doe/R. Tsunda

ELFIN - Angelopoulos Vassillis

FPMU - Joe Minow

GOLD - Rich Eastes

ICON - Thomas Immel

INPESAT2 - Otavio Durão

INSPIRESat1 – Amal Chandran/Loren Wang

LAICE - Greg Earl

LLITED - Rebecca Bishop

OPAL - Mike Taylor

petitsat – Jeff Klenzing

SORTIE - Geoff Crowley

SPORT - Charles Swenson

Please note that the abstract deadline is Wednesday, 31 July 2019 (2359 EDT), so please plan accordingly and submit your abstract soon. The first author must be an AGU member.  To submit an abstract, please follow this link: https://www2.agu.org/Fall-Meeting/Pages/Submit-an-abstract<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www2.agu.org_Fall-2DMeeting_Pages_Submit-2Dan-2Dabstract&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=VFjB87ZfcAp4kEluL4BNyqZnli3TfoyvZsv8IPIwO0Y&m=Z2NVn2yV7d-D0H426iAyIreLgadSVZxXaImu0foim_4&s=LtNNVvi8PVxGSCS5ua1fGKkdFzYxl-0C87gnZow32us&e=>

If you are not a member, then you can join at: https://membership.agu.org/join-renew/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__membership.agu.org_join-2Drenew_&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=VFjB87ZfcAp4kEluL4BNyqZnli3TfoyvZsv8IPIwO0Y&m=Z2NVn2yV7d-D0H426iAyIreLgadSVZxXaImu0foim_4&s=yaT814W_kBJ-d_cWA6dZtCSo0_xnzO3sbvWGw8-8H7U&e=>

Visit the 2019 Fall AGU website at: https://www2.agu.org/Fall-Meeting<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www2.agu.org_Fall-2DMeeting&d=DwMFaQ&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=VFjB87ZfcAp4kEluL4BNyqZnli3TfoyvZsv8IPIwO0Y&m=Z2NVn2yV7d-D0H426iAyIreLgadSVZxXaImu0foim_4&s=o3JCrHLR7eQ_x6YzxXUJNun3DhCxntYHE4sMKvwlnqw&e=> for the most up to date information about the meeting.  Authors will be informed in September regarding the date and format of their presentation. Currently this session is an eLightning format, however, if there is strong response we may have the option of an oral session.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for considering this opportunity to share your research and science insights.  You may receive multiple postings of this email as we are seeking to distribute the announcement broadly to reach as many disciplines as appropriate.

Finally, if you have questions about our session, send your questions to Jim Spann<mailto:jim.spann at nasa.gov>, Rebecca Bishop<mailto:rebecca.l.bishop at aero.org>, Jeff Klenzing<mailto:jeffrey.klenzing at nasa.gov>, Charles Swenson<mailto:charles.swenson at usu.edu>.

Sincerely,

Jim Spann/NASA-Headquarters, Rebecca Bishop/Aerospace Corp., Charles Swenson/Utah State University, Jeff Klenzing/NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center