CEDAR email: Call for participation in Mini-GEM IEMIT Sessions

Ozturk, Dogacan S (335G) dogacan.s.ozturk at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 3 15:33:51 MST 2019

Dear CEDAR Scientists,

We would like to invite you to participate in our mini-GEM session titled “3D ionospheric electrodynamics and its impact on the magnetosphere - ionosphere - thermosphere (MIT) coupled system”. The session will be held between 12:00-17:00 on Sunday December 8 in the Redwood Room at the Holiday Inn San Francisco-Golden Gateway. Our last session is a joint session with the MMV FG and will be held between 1530-1700.

The tentative schedule for this meeting is as follows.

********* Session 1 : 12:00-13.30 Redwood Room *********

5 min. Talk + 5 min. Discussion (5 slide limit)

1. Russell Cosgrove - Limits on Electrostatic Theory and a New, Semi-Analytical Electromagnetic Model for Coupling to the E-region Ionosphere

2. Robert Rankin - A new algorithm for MIT-coupling based on overset grids

3. Doga Ozturk - A new framework to incorporate high-latitude input for meso-scale electrodynamics: HIME

4. Xiaojia Zhang - Electron precipitations driven by ULF waves

5. Qianli Ma - Global electron precipitation by whistler mode chorus waves in the magnetosphere

6. Hyunju Connor - Diffuse aurora precipitation and ionospheric conductance driven by the inner magnetospheric waves

7. Chih-Ping Wang - DMSP-THEMIS conjunction events: magnetospheric processes leading to soft electron precipitations and ionospheric upflows

8. Christine Garbrielse - Using All-Sky-Imagers to Probe Energy Flux and Conductance on Meso-scales

9. Agnit Mukhopadhyay - The new empirical conductance model in the SWMF

********* Session 2 : 13.45-15.15 Redwood Room *********

5 min. Talk + 5 min. Discussion (5 slide limit)

1. Toshi Nishimura - Extreme high-latitude MIT responses to a supersubstorm

2. Larry Lyons - MI coupling associated with the azimuthal expansion of plasma sheet bubbles and their heat flux divergence

3. Banafsheh Ferdousi - Association of SAPS Morphology with Ionosphere Parameters

4. Ying Zou - Substorm-driven winds and their possible preconditioning role for Steve

5. Lindsay Goodwin - Dayside Polar Cap Flows and Density Enhancements Triggered by Substorms

6. Andrew Menz - The Effect of Ring Current Heating on the Plasmaspheric Ion Density

7. Shasha Zhou - Segmentation of Storm Enhanced Density (SED) by Boundary Flows Associated with Westward Drifting Partial Ring current

8. Qingyu Zhu - High-latitude electrodynamic forcings and their impacts on the ionosphere and thermosphere: Static-binned vs boundary-oriented forcings

9. Naomi Maruyama - TBD

********* Session 3 : 15.30-17.00 Redwood Room *********

This is a joint session with the Modeling Methods & Validation (MMV) focus group on Ionospheric conductance challenge session.

This session specifically focuses on the following events.

1. 2013 Mar 17

2. 2016 Oct 13-15

3. 2015 Jul 21-24

4. 2012 March 9

We welcome any presenters with results on the challenge events to present at the beginning of the session. We kindly ask the presenters to prepare 1 summary slide on these results. The session will then proceed in a free discussion format with key discussion points.

More information can be found at our Focus Group Website: https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_3D_Ionospheric_Electrodynamics_and_Its_Impact_on_the_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere_Coupled_System

We hope to see you all there!

Dogacan Su Ozturk

p.p. Hyunju Connor, Binzheng Zhang, Gang Lu, Haje Korth