CEDAR email: Invitation for CEDAR talks: "Exploring challenges related "Big Data" in CEDAR science"

Rebecca L Bishop rebecca.l.bishop at aero.org
Tue Jun 12 20:23:27 MDT 2018

Dear CEDAR Community,

We would like to invite you to contribute to the CEDAR session entitled  “Exploring the challenges related to “Big Data” in CEDAR science” scheduled for Thursday afternoon on June 28. The workshop session will consist of short contributed talks and group discussions. Below is a short description of the session. We especially welcome contributions that illustrate lessons learned utilizing large disparate data sets and the application of data analytic techniques.

If you are interested in contributing, please contact one of the conveners. We look forward to hearing from

you.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Bishop,

Anthea Coster,

Romina Nikoukar,

Kshitija Deshpande,

Cheryl Huang

Exploring the challenges related to “Big Data” in CEDAR science

The availability of large datasets is allowing for a more systems approach to space weather. However, there needs to be a transition from collecting large volume data to focusing on the application of "Big Data" techniques and system science. This workshop will begin to address where that transition should occur as a function of data type and observational approach. The topic proposed will be addressed by short presentations followed by a round-table discussion. The purpose of the workshop is to promote discussion on the topic and identify issues and potential solutions to the growth in volume of observational data. Progress from the workshop will be measured by the improved coordination between experimenters and modelers on planning and utilizing current and future large data sets. In particular, the workshop will work to quantify the amount of data coverage required to address a subset of space weather topics.

Rebecca L. Bishop, Ph.D

Research Scientist

The Aerospace Corporation

(310) 336-1750