CEDAR email: Announcement for EGU session on asymmetries effects in geospace and planetary environments

Paul Tenfjord paul.tenfjord at ift.uib.no
Wed Jan 3 03:04:39 MST 2018

Dear colleagues,

We are convening a session PS4.8/ST2.10entitled “***Asymmetries in
geospace and planetary environments*” at EGU 2018 conference to be
held on 8- 13April in Vienna, Austria.

We invite researchers to submit abstracts to this session. Please find
more information here:
*http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/27247*

Session details:

The Sun-Earth interaction leads to a variety of asymmetric effects in
geospace. In the ionosphere these appear, for example, as dawn-dusk
asymmetries and inter-hemispheric asymmetries and in the magnetosphere
they can be observed, for example,  as warping of the plasma sheet,
asymmetric loading of flux in the lobes, and in ion outflow.

Known causes  of asymmetries include the orientation of the
interplanetary magnetic field, the tilt angle of the Earth, solar
irradiation, variations in magnetic field strength, and disparities in
neutral wind forcing from below.  As the state of geospace is a result
of all these various factors, the most common state of geospace is
indeed asymmetric.

This section calls for a papers exploring geospace in order to make
progress in our understanding of the physical processes responsible for
creating the asymmetric geospace. We welcome studies using observations,
statistical techniques, as well as MHD modeling, simulations and
theoretical considerations.
Studies of dynamics and asymmetries from other planets are also welcome.

Best regards, Paul, Jenny, and Rumi