CEDAR email: (session) CEDAR science enabled by space weather observational campaigns

Shunrong Zhang shunrong at haystack.mit.edu
Mon May 16 12:35:32 MDT 2016

Dear CEDAR colleagues

This note is to invite your participation in our CEDAR Workshop session, "CEDAR science enabled by space weather observational campaigns”. Over the last a few years, we have coordinated a few ground-based observational campaigns to monitor and study upper atmospheric responses to space weather events. These observations were
participated by worldwide incoherent scatter radars as well as FPIs, ionosondes, and GPS networks among many instruments that take data on a regular basis.

These campaigns may be classified into two groups:  (1) The CME-driven event: March 17-25, 2015 St. Patrick’s Day; (2) The high speed solar wind stream events: March 31-April 4, 2014, September 24-29, 2014, and more recently March 13-18, 2016.

The purposes of our session are (1) to promote the CEDAR radar chain science enabled by coordinated multiple-sensor observational efforts; (2) to promote awareness of existing datasets collected for those campaigns that may be used for joint analysis and modeling.

We invite contributions that report, analysis, or model these observations. We are particularly interested in the 2015 and 2016 events mentioned above. Please contact us if you would like to schedule a short talk in our session.

Our session is in WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON (June 22, 13:30 - 15:30 CEDAR; Room: Sweeney B). More information about our session can be found here: http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2016_Workshop:CEDAR_campaigns <http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2016_Workshop:CEDAR_campaigns>

Conveners:
Shunrong Zhang (MIT Haystack Observatory)
Shasha Zhou (U Michigan)