CEDAR email: Fall AGU Session SA006 on Challenges in Understanding Energy Budget of Ionosphere-Thermosphere

Verkhoglyadova, Olga (335G) Olga.Verkhoglyadova at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 27 13:14:53 MDT 2016

Dear Colleague,
Please consider submitting an abstract to the 2016 Fall AGU Session SA006:
Challenges in Understanding Energy Budget of Ionosphere-Thermosphere: Coupling with the Solar Wind and Driving from Below
Session ID#: 12482
Section/Focus Group: SPA-Aeronomy
Energy is one of the main characteristics of a physical system which can provide a high-level description of the system dynamics. Despite a number of important studies on ionosphere-thermosphere (IT) energetics, energy sources remain not well known and the total budget is not well specified. How much energy is being transferred into the IT system from the solar wind? How can we estimate energy input into IT from below? How well do models predict the energy budget during geomagnetic storms and quiet times? What are the major forms and locations for energy inputs into IT?  Can we use direct observations to derive energy proxies? How does IT energy partitioning differ for CME and CIR-HSS storms? We invite a broad discussion of these challenging problems including innovative approaches, observations and modeling.
Link to the session is: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session12482
Conveners: Olga Verkhoglyadova, Cheryl Huang, Martin Mlynczak and Yanshi Huang