CEDAR email: Joint CEDAR/GEM: "Calibration and analysis techniques for passive optical and lidar observations"

Susan M Nossal nossal at physics.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 13 10:39:02 MDT 2016

Greetings,

We invite the CEDAR/GEM community to participate in the joint workshop “Calibration and analysis techniques for passive optical and lidar observations” that will be held on Friday, June 24th from 8-10 AM in the Coronado/DeVargas room.  This workshop provides an opportunity to share and discuss successes and challenges with approaches to calibration and data analysis of optical observations and to gain feedback from other participants.  We welcome and encourage presentations by students.

Please contact Susan Nossal (nossal at physics.wisc.edu<mailto:nossal at physics.wisc.edu>), Don Hampton (dhampton at alaska.edu<mailto:dhampton at alaska.edu>), and Jeff Baumgardner (jeffreyb at bu.edu<mailto:jeffreyb at bu.edu>) if you would like to give a presentation.

Calibration and analysis techniques for passive optical and lidar observations
Accurate calibration is important for inter-comparison of observations, data/model comparisons, and long-term investigations. We invite discussion on a broad range of topics relating to passive optical and lidar observations and their analysis. Possible topics include absolute and relative intensity calibration, wavelength calibration, spatial scale determination, error analysis, correction for scattering within the lower atmosphere, isolation of atmospheric lines of interest, flat field techniques, spectral fitting approaches, and analysis of long term data sets. In addition to reporting progress on calibration and analysis techniques, this workshop provides an opportunity to discuss challenges and gain feedback from other workshop participants. We encourage hands-on demonstrations. In addition, we welcome modelers to discuss use of observations for model-data comparisons, and associated questions and challenges for model validation. We welcome and encourage presentations by students.

http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2016_Workshop:Optical_Calibration_and_Data_Analysis