CEDAR email: Fall AGU 2016 session: Multi-scale Space Weather Discoveries Enabled Through Networked Instrumentation

Asti Bhatt asti.bhatt at sri.com
Mon Jul 18 15:19:47 MDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the session focused on
investigating space weather phenomena on multiple scales using networks
of instruments. We invite presentations about results from existing
networks of instrumentation, modeling needs for data on various scales
that can be achieved using networks, and planned future networks to
measure multi-scale geospace processes.

SA015. Multi-scale Space Weather Discoveries Enabled Through Networked
Instrumentation
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/sa/sessions/index.cgi?username=13435&password=721662>

*Session ID#: * 13435

          Session Description:

An outstanding challenge in the upper atmospheric research is specifying
the state of the space-atmosphere interaction region in both time and
space; a limitation manifest by level of variability that often rivals
the value of the mean state. Investigating ionospheric storm response
and plasma-neutral coupling processes over global, regional and local
scales is challenging. We have made significant progress in addressing
these challenges, but often at local scales. There is a need for
multi-scale observations of various parameters simultaneously through
innovative observational networks, in the form of distributed arrays of
instrumentation.

Such networks provide the insight and validation required to understand
global-scale processes such as TIDs, energy transport during geomagnetic
storms, coupling between atmospheric regions, with associated
variability. We will discuss results from existing networks, science
enabled from regional and global observations, new large-scale
observational networks, and invite the modeling community to discuss
required regional and global measurements required.

Thanks,
Conveners: Asti Bhatt, Elizabeth Kendall, Jorge Chau

--
Asti Bhatt
Center for Geospace Studies