CEDAR email: CEDAR Worskhop memorial talks open to the public; solicitations for meteor talks at CEDAR

Barbara Emery emery at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 7 19:40:44 MDT 2010

This is a generic mailing to the CEDAR community sent Jun 07, 2010.
Meetings and jobs are listed at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu under
'Community' as 'Calendar of Meetings' and 'CEDAR related opportunities'.
CEDAR email messages are under 'Community' as 'CEDAR email Newsletters'.
All are in 'Quick Links' on the main page.
(1) 2 CEDAR Memorial Talks are free.
 From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu).
See also http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2010_Workshop:Agenda.

(2) Invitation to submit abstracts for CEDAR 2010 Workshop:
Meteoroids and Meteors: Impact Effects (S. Close, L. Dyrud).
 From Sigrid Close (sigridc at stanford.edu).
See also
http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2010_Workshop:Meteoroids_and_Meteors.

(1) 2 CEDAR Memorial Talks are free.
 From Barbara Emery (emery at ucar.edu).

This year at the 2010 CEDAR Workshop at the University of Colorado in Boulder,
we have two memorial talks to honor a couple of giants in our field who passed
away within the last year.  Michael Mendillo of Boston University will give the
Memorial talk on Henry Rishbeth at 10 AM on Wednesday 23 June, while Richard
Behnke of the National Science Foundation will honor Bill Gordon at 10 AM on
Thursday 24 June.  These memorial talks are free to the larger local scientific
community in the Boulder area or visitors who might wish to honor these
colleagues.  The memorial talks will be held at Math-100 and are just after the
morning breaks which start at 0930 AM so that any visitors can mingle with the
conference participants right before the memorial talks.  Further details are on
the agenda at http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2010_Workshop:Agenda.

(2) Invitation to submit talks for CEDAR 2010 Workshop:
Meteoroids and Meteors: Impact Effects (S. Close, L. Dyrud).
 From Sigrid Close (sigridc at stanford.edu).

A meteoroid is defined as a small, solid extraterrestrial object.  Upon entry
into a planet’s atmosphere, it heats and ablates off particles that then collide
with the background neutrals, forming a dense plasma that extends around the
meteoroid as well as behind it.  These plasmas, referred to as meteors, have
been studied for well over a century, yet many outstanding questions remain.
These include, but are not limited to, the amount of material deposited into
Earth’s atmosphere, the mass flux, the energy flux, and the impact of this flux
on upper atmospheric chemistry and ionization.  Of particular importance to the
CEDAR community is that meteors account for all of the dust, metal neutral and
ionized particles in the upper atmosphere.  Further, meteoric dust is also
thought to provide the condensation nuclei for polar mesospheric clouds PMC
(high altitude clouds near 80 km), which is the focus of a current NASA mission
(AIM).  Additionally, CEDAR researchers have used radar reflections from meteor
trails to remotely sense winds and temperatures near the mesopause.

To address these issues, we invite presentations on the physics of meteors and
their impact effects on the atmosphere and ionosphere, as well as engineering
techniques for observing and characterizing the meteoroid population.  We
encourage presentations using any data set, including Lidar, radar, and optical,
as well as theoretical modeling of meteoroid impact effects.

This year we will continue a panel discussion begun in 2009 on the following
topic. "How do we make sense of non-smooth radar “light curves”?”  This topic
has been the result of a number of recent papers, and disagreement between
different researchers. We look forward to a very interesting discussion amongst
panel and audience members.

Please contact Sigrid Close (sigridc at stanford.edu) with at least a title of what
you would like to present.  The workshop description is located at
http://cedarweb.hao.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2010_Workshop:Meteoroids_and_Meteors.
Please do not change this description or add your name to a list of speakers
without contacting the conveners (sigridc at stanford.edu and ldyrud at cfrsi.com).