[Wrf-users] W vertical wind component direction

Dekker, I.N. (Iris) I.N.Dekker at uu.nl
Wed Jun 6 01:56:13 MDT 2018

Dear WRF users,

I was looking at the vertical wind component values in my WRF output but was not completely sure how to interpret. If the vertical wind component is negative: is there an downward movement of air or an upward movement?
I could not find any information in the WRF user guide or WRF wiki page other than that W is the vertical wind component. And does anyone know how the w component was calculated by WRF?

Thanks in advance,

Iris

Iris Dekker MSc
PhD student

Atmospheric Physics and Chemistry Group
IMAU Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research Utrecht, Utrecht University
Princetonplein 5
3584 CC Utrecht
I.N.Dekker at uu.nl

SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research
Sorbonnelaan 2
3584 CA Utrecht
I.Dekker at sron.nl