[Wrf-users] WRF height variables question

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 13:23:06 MDT 2017

Hi Irina:

 ph = wrf_user_getvar(a,"PH",time)

 phb = wrf_user_getvar(a,"PHB",time)

height_w(i,j,0)=(ph(i,j,0)+phb(i,j,0))/9.8

height_w(k)=(ph(i,j,k)+phb(i,j,k))/9.8

If you want without terrain ("HGT").

height_wmt(i,j,k)=(ph(i,j,k)+phb(i,j,k))/9.8-terrain(i,j)

I believe that U and V are at the half levels.  In that case, the the first
half level height would be height_w(k)/2.

      do k=1,nk

      do j=1,nj

      do i=1,ni

          height(i,j,k)=0.5*(height_w(i,j,k-1)+height_w(i,j,k))

!         w_s(i,j,k)=0.5*(w(i,j,k-1)+w(i,j,k))

      end do

      end do

      end do

Barry

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:57 AM, Irina Rypina <irypina at whoi.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use WRF output (from a wrfout* file) and have a question
> about WRF variables.
>
> For my analysis, I only need to know the 3 components of air velocities,
> u,v and w, and their corresponding grids in 3d (lat, lon, height above sea
> level) and time.
>
> I believe "U", "V", and "W" variables in WRF give the 3 components of
> velocity, and I think the lateral lat and long grids for these are given by
> "XLONG_U,XLATG_U", "XLONG_V,XLATG_V", and "XLONG,XLATG."
>
> I also found the time variable "XTIME" that gives time stamps for "U",
> "V", and "W."
>
> But what I cannot find are the z-grids (height above sea level in meters)
> at which "U", "V", and "W" are given.
>
> Can anyone please help me with this?
>
> Thanks!
> Irina