[Wrf-users] Help with GFS data to force WRF

Jose Augusto Paixão Veiga veiga.uea at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 13:55:58 MDT 2017

Dear all,

some months ago I used to download GFS data in Grib2 format to force WRF
model. However, nowadays, these data are available in Netcdf format. In
this case, I would like to know what software can I use to convert them
into Grib2 format?

I tried CDO (version 1.8), via the command:

cdo -f grb2 fnl_20160908_12_00.grib2.nc  fileout.grb2

However, it didn't work. See the message bellow:

*Warning (set_zaxistype) : NetCDF attribute level_type='ground or water
surface' unsupported!*

*Warning (set_gridtype) : NetCDF attribute grid_type='latitude/longitude'
unsupported!*

I really appreciate if someone could tell me what should I do to convert
these data into Grib2 format to force WRF.

Thanks in advance

*Prof. José Augusto Paixão Veiga (CREA n.: 24161)*

*Reitoria  *: (92)  3646 - 7297

*EST        *: (92)  3878 - 4317
Skype: veiga_j.a.p.
*CV*: http://lattes.cnpq.br/4027612512091565