[Wrf-users] Registry and staggered variables

Maxime Colin m.colin at unsw.edu.au
Thu Jan 26 23:37:51 MST 2017

Hi all,

Here is a quick question about variables which would naturally staggered but in fact are not staggered because the variable doesn't depend on some coordinates.

To be very practical, I have added a vertical profile of U-wind in WRF code, in order to create a manual nudging. This target vertical profile of U (called U_target_prof) only depends on z. But as it is applied on U variable in the code, it seems relatively natural to consider it as staggered along the x-axis. But does it actually make any sense to say such a thing?

In the registry (Registry.EM_COMMON), should I define this variable as staggered or unstaggered:

"state    real    U_target_prof         k       dyn_em      1         -      h    "       OR

"state    real    U_target_prof         k       dyn_em      1         X     h    "         ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Maxime.

Maxime Colin
PhD candidate
Climate Change Research Centre & ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science, UNSW, Australia
and Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique, UPMC, France
http://www.ccrc.unsw.edu.au/ccrc-team/students/maxime-colin
http://www.climatescience.org.au/staff/profile/mcolin
+61 (0)421 620 779    /    +33 (0)6 25 57 81 93
m.colin at unsw.edu.au    /     colinmaxime at hotmail.fr<https://www.normalesup.org/phare/squirrelmail/src/compose.php?send_to=maxime.colin%40normalesup.org>