[Wrf-users] urban_phys

Julio Castro jcastro at gac.cl
Tue Jan 3 07:25:43 MST 2017

Dear all,

I'm modelling a urban area (Santiago de Chile) with high topographic resolution (1km). Santiago is located in a zone with very complex terrain, surface average winds are very low.

WRF overestimates wind speed when comparing with surface observations as expected.

I'm using four nested domains, 3:1 ratio.

I'm trying to run the model with sf_urban_physics = 1 (urban canopy) and the model runs well during spring and summer months, estimating lower wind speeds in comparison to the former case, but crashes during the winter months and some of the autumn months. I also tested sf_urban_physics = 2 and I got the same problem. The rsl.out file  gives no error messages, even when using debug = 100. I've tried WRF version 3.7 and version 3.8.1, I've tested different ETA level configurations, reducing the ZR value in the URBPARM.TBL file, increasing p_top_requested to 10000 from 5000, I've tried different sizes of the 1 km domain, avoiding complex terrain on the domain borders, I've tried the ACM2 PBL and MYJ PBL options, etc, but all these tests didn't work.

I would welcome any recommendations

Many thanks

Julio Castro M.

Ingeniero Civil, MSc., PhD.

Jefe del Área de Modelación y Calidad del Aire

cid:83969B68-5B60-49B4-AE8A-CFDE16B1D669

Padre Mariano 103, Of. 307
Providencia, Santiago
Fono: +56 2 27195 610
Fax: +56 2 22351 100