[Wrf-users] Help needed for WRF on Ubuntu/Windows 10

Don Morton don.morton at borealscicomp.com
Tue Nov 22 19:10:17 MST 2016

Hello, I've been installing WRF on so many different systems for something
like twelve years now.  It seems like maybe it's gotten tougher in recent
years, especially as we try to install on mature Linux distributions where
some of the dependencies come from the package management systems.

Just last month I was really fighting with an installation on Ubuntu 16.04,
and it came down to problems with unexpected NetCDF configurations, as well
as some of the GRIB2 dependencies.  I stumbled on the pages of the WRF
Tutorial where they take you, step by step, through the installation.  They
provide tests for your system, and have a good set of cookbook instructions
for installing your own dependencies in your own account.  It's a little
extra work - OK, well maybe more than a little - but it's a sure-fire way
to get a good installation.  I'd highly recommend investigating it.  The
time you invest in doing it right might be much less than the time you
spend stumbling around :)

Here's a link to the WRFv3.7 install instructions.  I've seen similar for
WRFV3.8 and I think 3.6:

<goog_1535085730>
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/compilation_tutorial.php

---